Sunday, November 27, 2016

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back



The next week at school was fairly uneventful, and as Friday approached, I became increasingly excited to begin unraveling the mystery surrounding where I came from. Once I got my original birth certificate, I would have more specifics about who my biological parents were, and would hopefully have more information about them. Perhaps it may include their address at the time I was born, or maybe their birth location—both things which could prove useful in finding them.

            As the low-key excitement built all week, I did receive the letter from my father. It arrived Wednesday, but I didn’t feel the need to read it right away. I wasn’t ready.

            Even having expressed how I felt, albeit briefly, that his previous letter was really about him, having my father acknowledge that something was amiss, I was concerned what he might say. My immediate go-to, as a cautiously optimistic person, is to believe the best in people. This means my default with any issue with my parents is to attempt to blindly trust them when there is a problem.

Almost every time, that reaction has not served me well, and I’ve been incredibly hurt, expecting a different outcome from what occurred. Mostly, what I’ve wanted is to have a parent approach me when we have had a problem and address it in a way which models appropriate behavior, such as apologizing, because he/she was the parent, and I was the child.  

Instead, I have had to almost unilaterally approach my parents to apologize for any wrongdoings, even if I was the not the one who initiated or exacerbated the problem.

Every. Single. Time.

It’s just one of the many ways in which I’ve played a part in my relationship with my parents which was tantamount to a role-reversal. I needed to move past the issue at hand, so I’d be the one to apologize so we could all move forward. I was willing to acquiesce and concede, as a parent traditionally might, to keep the peace.

It amazes me that this pattern of behavior, which began long before I was able to drive, I considered normal. I’ve been repeatedly hurt by this by both of my parents for so long because I was always willing to believe the best in their intentions. But after all of this information about my adoption, I was wary to allow myself to feel any type of acceptance or relief from anything my father said in his letter.

What he wrote might be wonderful, or it might ignore the issue. But, knowing him, there would be, at best, an infliction of pain, even if unintentional, no matter what he said.

So, I waited. I didn’t need to read it right away. It’s what many friends counseled me to do as well. Just wait a few days. It would be fine.

After sleeping in on a Friday holiday, I was ready to begin my journey in literal self-discovery in a few different ways. First of all, I decided that today would be the day that I began to publish my blog. I had started writing and editing the first few posts over the past week, and was ready to begin telling the world what I had found out.

I wasn’t entirely sure what response I would receive, or even if anyone would read it. But either way, I knew that I needed to share my experience. If it helped anyone deal with their own experience, it was worth it. But, it would be even more worth writing if it helped me find my biological parents.

So, hours after the first post published (timed posts are a wonderful feature to this site), I got up, made coffee and breakfast, and then sat down with my roommate, R, and his girlfriend, D. I decided I needed to meet things head on, which meant reading the letter from my father before getting my birth certificate. However, I didn’t have to do it alone.

This time, there were only two pages, but those two pages were still predominantly about him, though, he did repeat the phrase “It’s all about you!” numerous times. That’s growth, right? Except most of this letter still wasn’t really about me. Was it that difficult to ask for an apology?

I thought about this as I got ready, hopped into my car, and drove to the local Department of Health and Human Services. I found my way inside, and filled out what I assumed was the appropriate form to get a physical copy of a birth certificate. I waited patiently for the front office person to finish a call before I pleasantly smiled at her and explained what I was there for—an original birth certificate with my biological parent’s names.

“Oh, I’m sorry. We don’t have that. Actually, the original probably doesn’t exist anymore.”

My stomach dropped. “What do you mean?”

“Well, once someone is adopted, the adoptive parents become the child’s parents. Their names go on the birth certificate, and the original is destroyed.”

I couldn’t believe this. “Destroyed?!? With no original record of it?”

“More than likely. Though, you could try calling the main office in Baltimore—they might have it there, but they probably don’t.”

“Oh… Ok. Thank you.”

Remember how I was hopeful and thought my minor super-sleuthing would help me find my biological parents so quickly? I suddenly realized how naive I was.

Given the peculiarity of the situation, why did I think that anything about this was going to be easy?

By early afternoon it became apparent that people had read the first post. A lot of people. Many of them began to comment on both the post and on my Facebook, or send me a Facebook message, or text me, if they had my number. That made things more real somehow; it also made everything incredibly more daunting.

I started to read posts and comments, which ranged from the previously mentioned “We didn’t want to say anything” and “It wasn’t our place…” but now included few new additions—specifically many people who said “Oh… I thought you knew.”

            I knew that sharing my story would be a risk for many reasons. So many people know my family, and would know details that I still hadn’t been told in entirety. I also knew it was a huge exposure of my soul to people I both know and don’t know. However, what I was not prepared for was the vast number of responses from people to whom I haven’t spoken more than a greeting in years. I was not ready for their opinions, for their views of the situation, for their misunderstanding of what was driving me to write. I was especially not able to comprehend the lack of compassion so many people had for this situation, which is my situation, and not theirs.
           
            Having so many more people reach out and let me know just how many of them knew about my adoption was painful. How could so many people, those who were at one point active participants in my life as well as essential strangers, know something about me that I didn’t know? And, more importantly, why would they feel the need to weigh in on my adoption, as well as my reaction to it? Most everyone who knew have known for years (many of them for 33 years, in fact) where as I hadn’t even had 33 days to process this. What did they expect?

Additionally, while it was nice to have people reach out, having to write out a response, or verbalize one, was exhausting. I felt annoying saying to people “Just keep reading. More information will be in the upcoming posts” but I couldn’t rehash details with people I’d barely spoken to in days, if not years. Furthermore, knowing that I planned to keep writing, I didn’t want to have to keep explaining the same thing to people, over and over.

It was, and still is, exhausting, physically and emotionally.

            Yet, even though I felt drained, I had to remind myself that anyone who had a reaction ultimately cared about me in a way that was greater than I had anticipated.  The outpouring of support, love, and kindness was apparent in the vast majority of these posts, and, as a result, I felt that I had done the right thing and needed to continue writing, even if it took much of my energy.

While parts of the day felt like I’d taken a few steps backward, I had taken one giant step forward in publishing my story. Eventually I’d find things out, even with a minor set-back like not being able to access my original birth certificate.

I mean, I didn’t see how there would be any other additional problems. Surely, I’d met my quota of them for the year.

Why do I tempt fate so easily?

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're next episode is up and ready to read. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete