Saturday, September 2, 2017

One Year Later...



As I sit on my couch this Labor Day weekend, it’s so hard to believe that it’s already been a year since this journey began. One year ago, today, I read a letter from Xena Williams that impacted and changed my life forever.

So much has happened, and as I continue to share my experience, I think you’ll understand why I needed a bit of a break from writing about my journey. Time truly does offer a better perspective of many things.

I spent a portion of this evening rereading my original posts, and realized it had been over eight months since I last wrote anything and posted it. I have much more to share—I promise. Life gets in the way, and since it was between performing my duties so I can live and eat, or writing the blog, I chose the former.

To those of you who have been asking and waiting for the next post, thank you for your patience. I will begin regularly posting again soon.

To whoever Xena is—know that the most asked question I get is still “Who is Xena?” I have to say, I’m more than a little curious… so if you’re willing to come forward, on or off the record, I’d like to thank you for what you’ve done. It has changed my life for the better.




As I think you’ll see as I continue to write (and you continue to read), I needed the past eight months to more fully absorb and unpack all that has happened. It’s no easy task to explore who you are and from where you’ve come while trying to live your life. Frankly, I also have needed the time to understand the impact of many of the details, events, and experiences I’ve uncovered over the past year.

However, there are a few things to share here…


  • First, finding out things about yourself and your family you never really wanted to know is difficult, but finding out the truth is invaluable… and also mystifying.
  • I now understand why the holiday season can be experienced as a month of devastation, even if you’re invited to wonderful friend’s celebrations.
  • When finding out life-altering information about yourself, you will eventually lose the desire to shout “I’m adopted!” at strangers when walking down the street. I’m living in that space now. It’s called growth.
  • My friends are, hands down, some of the most wonderful, loyal, kind, supportive, and amazing people on earth. Full stop.

For tonight, that’s all. But know that I’ve appreciated the love, kindness, and support from so many of you. Thank you all. It’s made this journey more bearable.

Additionally, there are a few of you who have reached out after either sharing the blog with others, or after having the blog suggested to you by a friend. The fact that anyone has read this is mind-boggling to me, but it’s also extremely humbling. Furthermore, if this has actually helped or impacted anyone (and I’ve been told by more than a few that it has helped or influenced someone they know), I cannot express the words to explain how that has made me feel, and it is the reason I feel the need to continue writing my story.

So, again, thank you for reading. There’s plenty more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment